Have you ever felt stuck in growing your Shopify store?
Conversion rate isn’t moving up, traffic stays the same, and as a result revenue is not moving.
Taking your store to the next level won’t happen by doing more of the same things.
At PARC we had a slogan: “Point of view is worth 80 IQ points.” It was based on a few things from the past like how smart you had to be in Roman times to multiply two numbers together; only geniuses did it. We haven’t gotten any smarter, we’ve just changed our representation system. We think better generally by inventing better representations; — Alan Kay
We know that you don’t have to be a genius to have a successful Shopify store. And following from the quote above, you just need a new way of looking at things.
Here are some ideas what to do to find a different point of view towards your Shopify store:
- Put your store on pause and go explore—things don’t look the same from a distance. The money you think you’ll be losing are actually invested in you. You’ll also know what happens when you take time off. It isn’t that scary.
- Look through the eyes of a beginner—what would you do differently if you had to start your Shopify store from scratch now?
- Prepare SOPs for someone to replace you. The goal here is not to grow your team, but to spot inefficiency.
- Take a day off and look through your main competitor’s website. What do you like? What would you love to be doing but you aren’t?
- Take a day and research another niche that is big on online shopping. What seems crazy to you? What are they doing that you aren’t?
- Go help a friend in their business for a day or two. Does their approach to business and client relationships differ from yours?
- Read an old (pre-internet) marketing book about why people buy. Their POV is refreshingly different to what we are being fed in the past decade.
- Become a customer of your competition—shop from your competitors and record the process. Do you see something that makes you question your approach?
- Buy from your own store or have a friend buy and watch behind their shoulder. You’ll learn more than you expected.
Changing your perspective is hard when you are also working in the business. Day to day operations require skills that don’t translate well when you need to level up.
Do something new and challenging from the list above—the least that will happen is that the experience will recharge you.
If you’ve read this far, you’ll like my guide to discovering missed revenue opportunities on your Shopify store!